This afternoon we learned of the unthinkable events that took place at an elementary school in Texas. We are outraged and saddened by these events and almost at a loss for what to say. It is devastating; yet another school shooting has harmed a community and taken the lives of innocent children.
These incidents can bring forth emotions and questions about safety. They have significant emotional impacts on students for some time. Please connect with your child and hold them close. If you need support, here are some resources for talking to your children about this event:
- Talking to Kids About Violence
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting (American Psychologists Association)
- Coping with Violence
Our top priority continues to be the safety and well-being of our students and staff. STRIVE Prep continues to follow current protocols for safety within schools:
- All exterior doors are locked at all times. Anyone entering the building after the morning bell must buzz in at the main entrance.
- All visitors enter through the main doors and report to the office and get a visitors pass.
- All volunteers check in at the office when they arrive and again upon departure.
- All volunteers must pass the DPS Background Check.
- The STRIVE Prep mental health team is available for students and parents who are seeking support at each campus.
School teams are available for support; reach out directly if we can help in any way. If you or your children have concerns about the safety of any school or students, regardless of where the threat is coming from, please call Safe2Tell at 1-877-542-7233 (SAFE) or visit https://safe2tell.org; reports can be made anonymously.
Each of us sends our children to school every day because of our belief in their dreams and to help them in achieving their own future. STRIVE Prep staff are dedicated to ensuring our schools are places where students continue to learn, grow, and feel safe.
Thank you for entrusting STRIVE Prep with your child every day and for everything you do to keep our communities safe,
CEO & Founder