We believe in supporting every family in finding the best school for their child. And in Denver Public Schools, parents have the opportunity to visit and select a great school through the SchoolChoice process!
Looking for information about the choice process in general? View our previous blog post, 5 Tips for Navigating the DPS SchoolChoice Process, to learn more.
As a part of the choice process, many schools offer regularly scheduled times during which you can see the facility and learn about their program.
But once you’ve scheduled a tour, what key things should you be observing? While every parent should ask questions specific to their child, we’ve put together a list of ten questions to ask when touring a school:
- What distinguishes your school from others?
- What is your rating on the School Performance Framework?
- On average, how much homework do students have each night?
- How do you support students with different learning styles and needs?
- What after-school activities do you offer?
- Do you provide transportation for students?
- On average, how many students are in each classroom?
- What character development do you provide for students?
- What is your discipline structure?
- What expectations do you have for parent and family involvement?